Why do we hold and process information?
The main reason that we process personal information about tenants and potential tenants is so that we can provide our best possible service. There are other reasons too, including legal requirements. All the personal data we collect and use complies with current data protection legislation.
Information that we collect may include personal details, employment or education details, financial details and property details. By law, immigration checks must be carried out on new tenants and residents. Copies of the documents checked, e.g. passport, must be kept. These copies might be kept on an electronic device.
The reasons we collect information include:
- Dealing with lettings
- Dealing with applications for tenancies
- Checking suitability for tenancies, (including credit and immigration checks)
- Managing property
- Collecting rent
- Maintaining accounts and records
- Dealing with tenancy deposits
- Marketing activity for information about our services that may be of interest to you
- Sharing relevant information that may help you during your tenancy
- Customer satisfaction and feedback activity to improve our services
We are committed to ensuring that any information we collect is secure. We have in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure any personal information we collect.
Sharing information with others
Personal information may be shared with others. If this is necessary data protection legislation will be followed.
Information may be shared with;
- Other landlords
- Educational institutions
- Service providers, e.g. gas, electricity, water companies
- Financial institutions
- Credit and tenant referencing agencies
- Tenancy deposit schemes
- Debt collection and tracing agencies
- Public and government bodies, e.g. those who deal with council tax and benefits
- Contractors and repairers
- Letting and managing agents
- Future owners of the property
This does not mean that information will be shared with all the above but may be shared if necessary.
Council tax, utilities and services
So that these are collected correctly, and bills are sent to the correct person your information will be shared with the relevant local authority and utility or service providers, including the water company.
Why we use your personal information
It is used in several ways, e.g. to decide whether to let the property to you, to prevent fraud, for accounting and auditing, for property management or for debt collection.
Right to gather information
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information held about you. There may be a small charge for this. It is important that your personal information is accurate and up to date. You can ask for the information to be corrected or removed if it is not accurate.
CODES OF PRACTICE
As full members of the following associations we abide by their codes of practice and ethics in the use of personal information:
Join our mailing list
Receive updates and new listings straight to your mailbox